Goals of the Two-Year-Old Program
One of our main goals is to create a positive first experience for the children in a school setting. Since this is often a child’s first classroom experience without a parent, we strive to make the transition an easy one. Our teachers create a warm and friendly environment in the classroom. We have a third teacher in each of the two-year-old classes for the first couple of months to help with any tentative children.
Throughout the school year the following goals are priorities as we work with the children.
- Social interaction with other children
- Independent and creative play
- Sitting and listening to a story in a group
- Following simple directions
- Experience with a wide variety of art and music media
- Enhanced verbal communication
Two-Year-Old Class Offerings
Monday, 8:45 - 11:00
Wednesday, 8:45 - 11:00
Friday, 8:45 - 11:00
Daily Classroom Routine
The children wash their hands upon being greeted by the teacher and entering the classroom. They are then free to play in the classroom. While they are playing the teachers will be calling them over a couple at a time to do both an art project and a painting at the easel. After everyone has had a turn to do the projects it will be time to clean up. The children all help in putting the toys away and then sit on the rug to hear a story. This is also music time. After rug time the children have a little snack at the tables. When they are finished with their snack they meet back on the rug to look at books.
General Two-Year-Old Guidelines
- The two's do not need to be potty trained. We ask that you send a diaper, wipes, and a change of clothes in their backpack in case we need to change your child.
- Along with the teachers in the classroom we always have one parent helper. You will be asked to help out about twice during the year. One of these days will also coincide around your child’s birthday.
- You are asked to bring snack for the class on the days that you are the parent helper. We are a peanut free school.
- There are 16 children in the class.
- Teacher conferences are held once during the year, but the teacher is available at any time you have concerns.
- We have a Parent’s Night before the school year begins to give you an opportunity to meet with the teachers and ask any questions.
- Children must be two by May 31 of the year they plan to enter the two-year-old class.